Friday, April 19, 2019

tip # 47, trim triangles for floating sets

When making on-point set quilts I prefer a float.
The triangles are cut over-sized  To make sure I do not distort the triangle along the bias when sewing it into the row, I trim the triangle on the side that will be sewn to the block.
Here you can see I measured the side of the triangle to 8 1/2 inches, the unfinished size of my basket block. The nub that is cut off is circled.

To lessen distortion with the bias:
1. Sew with the triangle on the bottom again to lessen distortion to the bias.
2. Start from the 90 degree angle and sew to where the nub was cut off, in this case, from the bottom of the basket block towards the top of the basket block.
NOTE: on at least one of the sides of the quilt you will have to make a choice as these two steps will not both be possible!

No comments: