Sunday, April 28, 2019

alphabet

A is for Alice
I made an alphabet quilt in 2012/13 with Cheri Payne's sew-a-long.
This time I am using the McCall's Quilting Best Day Ever alphabet.
https://www.quiltingcompany.com/Quilt/best-day-ever-free-alphabet-characters-block-patterns/
Again with changes in construction and design as I go along because I cannot leave well enough alone.
Watch for the tutorial I am writing about how to cut the chisel shape used in these blocks and in the basket block.

The McCall's blocks finish 6 by 10 1/2 inches.
I add a 2 inch cut boarder to each block so they finish 9 by 13 1/2 inches.
Every other block is an A or a B block for these borders.
A: from 2 inch strips cut two rectangles 6 1/2 inches for the top and bottom and two rectangles 14 inches for the sides.
B: from 2 inch strips cut two rectangles 11 inches for the sides and two rectangles 9 1/2 inches for the top and bottom..
This mades setting the quilt easier with fewer seams to deal with between blocks.

I am not making in order, instead using fabrics I have out to match the letters.
Thinking ahead with the X dilemma. I may go with fox.
I is for iris
D is for dog
B is for baseball
P is for popcorn
M is for maple
R is for robot

3 comments:

Chantal said...

OMG! That is so cute. This will definitively be a very interesting quilt. Looking forward to see more. ;^)

Jenny said...

Looks like a wonderful new project! I recently completed an animal ABC quilt and used x for xray fish, there is such s thing, believe it or not. But fox would work just as well, looks like you are finding appropriate background fabric to go with each letter. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt blocks grow.


Amy said...

Another fun one to watch grow! My favorite for "X" would be xantusia (a lizard) or xeme (a type of sea bird). BUT, for a literary reference, you can always use X-men fabric! I may just have some in stash if you'd like some...