Monday, April 22, 2019

riven

Riven

Block finishes 9 by 10 inches
I plan to set 80 blocks 8 by 10. to finish about 80 by 90.

Solid: one rectangle cut 1 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches
Print: one square cut 9 1/2 inches, then split into two vertically. I vary the cut from right in the middle to any point up to about 3 inches from either side.

Pressing:
Press to the prints.

In setting I am not having the solids meet.

It is interesting how my personal thoughts shape my quilting path.
Sitting at her bedside during my mother's decline I would sketch quilt block ideas. I kept coming back to this very simple split block which seemed to show the separation to come.
It has been a quiet, contemplative project to sew on. I have been including some of her fabrics into this quilt.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for another great block. And if I lived near Chicago, you'd be getting a big hug. So glad piecing feels good for you, especially with your mom's stash. It's going to be another beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

Another lovely quilt. I love to sew and I learned from my mom. Seeing your posts remind me so much of my own relationship with my mom and our love of sewing and quilting.

Mary