Friday, March 05, 2021

my grandmothers' pincushions


My grandmothers’ pincushions. Both made of wool and stuffed with sawdust I believe. Left, the patchwork one belonged to Cynthia Meerdink Dykstra. She told me it was her mother’s, Lena Huibregtse Meerdink. On the right the knit one with the little pom poms belonged to Ella (Hillegen) Diekevers Scholten. Such fine knitting. My mom said she didn’t think her mother knitted and it may have been made by Ella’s mother, Carrie (Graada) Rabbers Diekevers who did knit.

5 comments:

Hubblebird said...

It's amazing how some of us keep and use/display sewing notions etc that belonged to our beloved family. I have things I simply can not part with and they go everywhere with me. I'm still plugging away at my version of your framed nine patch, but things are packed up ready for a new house move. My precious bits and pieces that belonged to my grandmother, sisters, and my darling mum are packed especially carefully ready for the move. I love your quilts and look forward to your posts.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, these are amazing family treasures and they definitely ended up in good hands!

Jenny said...

How wonderful to have these gorgeous links to the past, such treasures indeed.

chris said...

How lovely!

San said...

Wow, just the spelling of the names impresses me. Just think if they could talk!

Thanks for sharing.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs