Monday, March 22, 2021

Fading Charms from Wedding Dress Blue--top completed

Fading Charms
88 inches square

Deanna over at Wedding Dress Blue has a tutorial for her Fading Charms quilt. She offers it in three sizes, using 2 1/2, 2. or 1 1/2 inch patches. 

https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/tutorial-fading-charms-quilt/

It isn't photographing well--it is more beautiful in person. I hope when it is quilted it will look better.

My 2 1/2 inch squares boxes--yes, there are multiples--were no longer shutting. This after making three quilts this past year from them: the Jack and Jill squares, the Orange Medallion 16-patch, and the ongoing Calendar quilt. So I went for Deanna's 2 1/2 inch size. I also went beyond her 72 inch top by adding a 16-patch border to use up even more of the squares. It took 40 16-patches for the border.

Deanna's pattern takes 846 squares. My 16-patch borders took another 640. That is 1486 squares out of my boxes. This used up 1/4th of my squares. I have more plans! I love having these squares ready to go when inspiration hits.
Thank you, Deanna, for sharing your great ideas.

I used a taupe Bella solid, BLK0119 for the frames. I cut them with the lengthwise grain. I found it best to always sew with the patchwork on top and to always press to the solid frame. Will likely use a wool batt to help reduce the weight of the quilt and bind with the taupe.

All my 2 1/2 inch squares quilts this past year include patches my small group shared in our mailed round-robin. These packets arrive about every 2 weeks and are such a joy to open and see what others have been using in their quilts. Those little LaCrosse sticks came from the exchange--love them.



5 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Oh my! It’s amazing how long scraps hang around! This is beautiful! I am feeling inspired! I have to say, I sure wish you would blog more often. (Who am I to speak? I haven’t posted on my blog in 2 1/2 years.) You have shared so much with us, it’s really not fair for me to suggest you should blog more. Thank you for all the special instructions you have shared with us over the years. I enjoy going back and reading your posts again and again. I have some of the solid blocks in progress. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt this beauty! Getting my second Covid vaccination today!

Sally Langston Warren said...

Those lacrosse sticks.....love them! Now I will be on the lookout for some of that fabric. Who knew?!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is wonderful. I have plans to use some of my scraps this year.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's really wonderful and looks like you've used an abundance of really interesting fun fabrics. I like how your sixteen patches really make a distinct frame around the rest.

Bernie Kringel said...

This is fantastic. I just pinned the tutorial you had linked to. Such a fun way to use up the ever abundant scraps!!