Saturday, February 13, 2021

a five-generation quilt

38 by 37 inches

In 2013 my friend and pastor Avena asked me to make her a liturgical stole to wear during the white seasons (Christmas, Easter, and special occasions like weddings). You can read about the stole here:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2013/04/making-liturgical-piece.html

She asked me to incorporate a quilt top her grandmother made from Avena's childhood and youth clothing and other family sewing projects that her mother cut into squares. Her grandmother was quite far into dementia and the construction of polyesters, rayons, and cottons was puckered and poofed.
I used it as the lining of the stole so it was close and private to Avena. I loved how when she walked the bottom hems would flare out and we could see a peek of the patchwork.

I asked Avena what to do with the remainder of the patchwork and she said I could discard it. Instead I tucked it away thinking someday there might be a grandchild. And, over 7 years years later, and despite our move and Avena's retirement and move across the country, I knew where it was when I heard Baby was with us.

It was too fragile to handle quilting on my domestic machine, so my friend Sue Divarco took it on her longarm with my request that all I wanted was for it to be flat, let tucks form where they will. She quilted it quite densely. I used a 1930s reproduction for the back, a nod to Avena's grandmother. The fabrics of the patchwork I date to range from the 1920s to the 1970s. I used 6 leftover pieces of red binding from my own quiltmaking.
Because I had cut away a portion of the patchwork for the stole there was a remnant rectangle of patchwork I trimmed and bound to make a small table mat. I like that there is a stain in the black gingham!
14 by 5 inches

In the end very little was discarded. Most of the patchwork went into the stole, the quilt, and the mat.

I left about 6 inches to sew in the binding so Avena and her daughter can put the final stitches in the quilt.
The quilt is finished. It was made by the hands of Avena's grandmother and mother, by Avena and her daughter. And now, ready to swaddle Baby.
Five generations.

19 comments:

Kathy S. said...

That's very sweet!

Wendy Currie said...

I love this story, especially that this quilt has been touched by generations!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Precisely how a quilt should live its life -- many generations, many functions, always loved.

Vicki W said...

That's an awesome story!

Amy said...

Your story filled my heart on an icy afternoon. Thank you so much for sharing it and the quilt, stole and tiny mat.

Glenda said...

Very nice quilt and memories.

Anonymous said...

A story and a quilt full of love. Thank you for sharing it with us.

ceci

Jenny said...

Such a lovely story, I'm sure your friend was so grateful for what you had done with the old quilt. It now lives again in different lives with the family.

Louise SS said...

Wonderful story! What a treasure full of memories for them!

chris said...

Love this so much!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, just wow! This post is so moving. Wow, what meaningful treasures, starting with the liturgical stole and then you carefully saving that precious patchwork to use in such a beautiful way.

rondiquilts said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Powerful story shared in fabric and thread, friendship and love.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a wonderful story and I do love the original quilt.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful quilt, and a wonderful story to go with it. The colors and patterns in the fabrics are fabulous. How sweet of you to save the old quilt for this surprise.

Mego said...

Beautiful. You are a good person!

Lori said...

That is so precious and meaningful!

Unknown said...

That's marvelous!

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

karenbbsnow said...

So happy to have stumbled across your blog. Being of Dutch heritage as well, your blog name caught my eye.

I love your quilts, so fun and colourful.

Lynn’s little sister said...

Beautiful!