Friday, August 09, 2024

3-tatami mat, block construciton

 

Block measures 12 by 8 inches and contains sixteen 3-tatami mat units.

I love tatami mat layouts and use the very simple 3-tatami mat layout as the basic unit for this block, using scraps from my 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch darks and brights coins bin.
The solid is Kona Ice Frappe, K001-1173.
I use my basic 16-patch construction method once those units are sewn.

There is Unit A and Unit B
Unit A: cut three scrap rectangles 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches
Unit B: cut two scrao and one solid rectangles 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches
Sew scraps into pairs and press to one side. I kept these seams consistant in the units construction. 
Sew scrap onto top of Unit As and solid onto top of Unit Bs.
Press towards top rectangle, away from the pairs.
For a block, make 8 Unit A and 4 Unit B.

Sew units into pairs, for the block, 4 all scrap Unit As and  4 with a Unit A and a Unit B, keeping the solid rectangle at the edge of that pair.
Press towards the edge that ends with a single rectangle.
Take two of these and sew together into units with the solid in the center. 
Press consistent to previous pressing.
Flip one row and sew into block halves.
Then sew two halves together to one block.
Press block to one side.
This will be a longer-term sewing project over the fall as faculty week starts next week. Thinking of 120 blocks set 8 down by 10 across for quilt to measure 96 by 80.
Block is my design--use at your pleasure.
I am also playing with doing this block on a larger scale with 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch red rectangles and white as the solid. ALWAYS room for another red and white quilt!
Block finishes 24 by 16 inches. What a different in scale.

1 comment:

Chantal said...

Nice. Very nice! I have a lot of scrap cut that size so I will save this page for later use. Thanks for the inspiration. I love the red and white one too.
Enjoy! ;^)