Wednesday, July 10, 2024

16-patch with bullseye chain, top completed, directions for construction



16-patch with bullseye chain
96 by 80 inches
Top completed 2024
Block finishes 8 inches

A summer quilt! Made from my lights/neutrals bin of 2 1/2 inch squares. 
1632 of them. 
I really like working with the neutrals. The summer feel of these quilts is pleasant. Note I kept the bullseye center squares oriented consistently with the images, but all background squares I let go every which way.
The green I think is Kona Fern. Stands out in a lovely way from the squares. I will bind it in this green.
I wanted to center the chains a bit so I added half-blocks to the side blocks to make them a bit wider. 

60 16-patch blocks
24 half 16-patch blocks
48 double bullseye blocks

After making the previous bullseye quilt where I wanted to have just one block, I went to this one in my sketchbook and decided to make two blocks (plus a variation on the sides).

Green
For each bullseye cut two 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch rectangles and two 4 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch rectangles
For this quilt, I cut 192 of each

Neutrals/lights
1632 squares cut 2 1/2 inches
Set aside 96 for bullseyes.
Sew remaining 1536 into 768 pairs.
Set aside 192 of the pairs for the bullseye blocks
Sew remaining 576 pairs into chains of four patches

Block A is a double bullseye block
Make the bullseyes, pressing away from the center square
Make the 4-patches, watching pressing
Sew 4-patches to the bullseyes, keeping the bullseyes oriented consistently. 
Press as shown
Sew into blocks.
Sew blocks into pairs then 4-block units
Press these horizontal seams south




Block B is a 16-patch block
Make 16-patches, keeping pressing as shown



Block C is a half 16-patch block
Make the half 16-patches, keeping pressing as done with Block B

Take 24 of the Block B and sew a Block C to each.
Press as shown

Take these 24 expanded blocks and sew into pairs then into 4-block units.
Press these horizontal seams north

Take remaining 36 16-patch blocks and sew into pairt then into 4-block units.
Press these horizontal seams north


Lay out and sew into three rows
Sew final two seams 

Everything nests!
My design, use at your pleasure.

Backing is Nests from Bird Song by Rae Ritchee for Dear Stella Fabrics

Bins before this quilt

Bin after this quilt!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

These 16 patch chains are so wonderful. I don't know how you come up with these designs, but I love, love them. Thank you for sharing.