Tuesday, May 07, 2024

lady of the lake, block construction

Lady of the Lake
Block finishes 8 inches
Another block I have always wanted to make!
I cut these while making the Ocean Waves so many duplicate fabrics are in these two quilts. I set this quilt aside in January as the semester began. Now it is close to assembly.

Cutting
Triangles all cut with EZ angle or Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool.
Solid: One triangle cut from 6 1/2 inch strip, Seven triangles cut from 2 1/2 inch strip
Print: One triangle cut from 6 1/2 inch strip; Seven triangles cut from 2 1/2 inch strip

Sew together all triangles and press towards solid.
Layout as shown 

Sew together the three right side triangle squares and sew to large triangle square
Press towards large triangles

Sew together the top four triangle squares and sew to the top of the block.
DO NOT PRESS YET

Take blocks and sew into 4-block units.

Lay out two of these 4-block units
Left unit: press all the joining and delayed pressing seams north
Right unit: press all the joining and delayed pressing seams south
Sew together and you have an 8-block unit.

I made 120 blocks to set 10 across and 12 down, so I will need to make 15 of these 8-block units.

All seams nest. I will post again soon when I get the top finished as it is close to being done!

My directions of a traditional block. Use at your pleasure.

No comments: