Wednesday, May 22, 2024

"G is for Gouda"--orange and grey little alphabet, top completed

 

G is for Gouda
Orange and greylittle alphabet
36 by 30 inches
My 10th alphabet quilt
Top completed 2024
Block finishes 6 inches (6 1/2 inches unfinished.

Gouda cheese isn't supposed to have big holes in it, but I could not pass up naming this quilt for the G block fabric.
I used the B is for Baby pattern by Temecula Quilt Co.
There are a few errors in the pattern--or maybe I was reading things wrong-- and the scale of the letter drawings does not always match up with the directions, so I needed to review each letter before cutting and sewing.
I changed up a few of the construction techniques, letter proportions, and the set and made extensive use of the Doug Leko mini folded corners tool. Love that thing.
BUT it is a pleasant small primitive style alphabet and it got me to put together this orange on grey scrap alphabet quilt.

Plan to machine quilt it myself as it is small.

I framed each 4 inch finished letter with 1 1/2 inch cut rectangles, alternating blocks with the longer frame on the top and bottom of a letter next to the longer on the sides of the next letter. All frames were pressed away from the letters. Because the blocks alternated in orientation of frames, only block outer seams needed to nest.

Oranges were from my shelves and a few shared by my small group. I asked them to think "Creamsicle" when going through their fabrics.
Grey solids also from my shelves. Who knew one person could have so many varieties of solid greys.

My adaptation of Temecula Quilt Co. pattern. Use my set at your pleasure.


2 comments:

Jenny said...

So sweet

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is almost a Halloween alphabet quilt! Fun quilt.