Monday, December 05, 2022

16-patch with self border, top completed

16-patch with self border
Top completed 2022
96 by 80 inches
8 inch finished block
120 blocks set 12 by 10
Piece count: 1536 prints, 384 solids

I love a 16-patch. Such straightforward construction and a strong grid that holds it with a wild variety of fabrics. 

A shoe-box sized bin holds about 2600 2 1/2 squares. I cut down my scraps while cutting for other projects, so they are a mixture of stuff from my sewing 30 years ago through stuff from last week. The bins also have 2 1/2 inch "Covid Squares" that my friends and I exchanged in round-robin packets during the Covid lockdown.

I was facing four packed full bins of 2 1/2 inch squares and pulled out darks/medium darks/mediums/brights/ for this quilt. I added about 2 yards of Kona Ice Frappe for the solid constant.

While pulling out these squares from the bins, I also pulled out the reds for a red and white quilt and pulled out the lights/medium lights into their own bins for a project in my head.

Block A: scraps plus contant
48 blocks
Solid constant: 384 2 1/2 inch squares
Scraps: 384 2 1/2 inch squares


Block B: all scraps
72 blocks
Scraps: 1152 squares 2 1/2 inches cut


Construction
Sew in pairs, then into 4s.
Press to one direction. With the constant blocks, I pressed away from the end that has a solid block.
Sew into 8s then into 16 patches; hold off on pressing for now.

I sew blocks into pairs then start the layout.
Sew into rows and press every other row in opposite directions
                    
Sew the rows together. I press rows in one direction.
Every seam nests.

My design, use at your pleasure.            












8 comments:

karen berrisford said...

The ultimate scrap buster! It is gorgeous, great job.

Gretchen Weaver said...

So simple but so beautiful! Happy stitching!

MissPat said...

Lynn, your cutting directions for Block A say "Scraps 1 1/2" squares" which I think should be 2 1/2". That should be obvious to almost everyone, but a newbie might not catch that. Would hate to have them cut 384 squares too small. I love the concept though.

Lynn Dykstra said...

MissPat!
Thanks for catching that error!
I fixed it

Vicki W said...

This quilt is amazing!

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Wow, fantastic! A lot of work with all those tiny squares.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

The ultimate scrap quilt! I too love a 16 patch. What an accomplishment, finishing this top!

babs said...

Beautiful quilt and I love Frappe solid color,