Sunday, November 07, 2021

62 to 63, a calendar quilt in the time of Covid, quilt completed

62 to 63, a calendar quilt in the time of Covid
88 by 76 inches
2020-2021

Quilted by Sue Divarco.

I started this quilt on my 62nd birthday and finished the piecing for my 63rd. There is a pieced block for each day of that year (366, including both birthdays) and a plain spacer block between each Saturday and Sunday.
The squares were chosen to commemorate a person or event or a feeling of each day. Or, just because I liked the fabric! Many scraps of my mother in here, a few from my grandmothers, and some from my small-group round robin 2 1/2 inch square exchange during the year we were not able to meet.
I did not work on it every day, but made sure I was caught up each weekend.

You can read about my construction here:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2020/08/calendar-quilt-year-in-life-62-to-63.html
and about the final setting here:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2021/07/62-to-63-calendar-quilt-in-time-of.html

My design. Use at your pleasure.

7 comments:

Tish said...

Lovely and inspirational. I think I may treat it as a leaders and enders project - select a fabric each day and cut strips from my solids to easily match up as needed.

Nann said...

Very nice, Lynn.

Kathy S. said...

That's awesome! It has a really simple, but cool effect using all those solids.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful reminder of a year of Covid, not that I'm saying Covid is wonderful, of course, but your quilt certainly is. Sadly, it's still raging across the world, when will it burn itself out and end, I wonder?

audrey said...

Great idea! Colorful memory of your year.:)

Gayle from MI said...

Beautiful quilt and your choice for quiltingnit is perfect!

chris said...

You inspired me to start a calendar quilt of my own. I started on April first, my birthday. It has been so enjoyable to chose a block for each day. If nothing is special, I choose a fabric I like. I have also been able to use vintage hankie monograms and embroideries in this quilt. Just the most fun thing ever!