Thursday, August 06, 2020

calendar quilt--A Year in the Life: 62 to 63

For several years I've admired calendar quilts, some showing global warming, others showing the seasons. I decided to embark on a calendar quilt and started on my birthday.
Mine is less a statement calendar, more a meditative one. I select a square of fabric for whatever reason that is meaningful to me that day. Sometimes I am remembering someone with the fabric. There are several from my mother's scraps included, even one of her mother who died in 1949; others of my sewing for my family. At times it is a fabric given to me by a friend who is in my thoughts or a fabric I am using that day in a project. Most often it is less contemplative--I just like the fabric and it has been a favorite to sew with.

I don't sew on this every day, but do try to pick out the center daily. A goal is to have the week completed on Saturday. I am planning on setting these 19 by 22. That comes to 418 blocks. One a day (366--I'm including both birthdays) plus a spacer after each week (52).
The spacer block has two purposes. Esthetic in I like how it breaks up the grid because the rows do not end with a multiple of 7 so these spacers will look scattered over the quilt. And practical, in that as it is used after every seven days I don't have to count beyond that if I forget where I am in adding blocks.

Calendar Quilt
Blocks finish 4 inches

Cutting
Print: one 2 1/2 inch square
Solid: two 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch rectangles, two 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch rectangles
Press all seams away from center block

Spacers: one 4 1/2 inch square

Assembly: Rotate every other block so all seams nest. (The spacer is part of the sequence so the blocks on either side of it are oriented the same)

5 comments:

Hubblebird said...

Hi Lynn. I’ve spent several days going through your blog as I find your prints on solids series fascinating. You’ve inspired me to make my first framed nine patch using only fabrics from my stash. I think I will have to buy some new fabrics eventually and I fear I had to buy bundles of solids as I simply had almost none. In addition, because solids were limited, I found myself dithering over print choices to somehow make things coordinate. I quickly abandoned that 10 blocks in and I am now embracing random piecing. I am using fabrics that go back many years and I remember which quilt I used them in originally, especially those made for family who have now passed away. Good for a little bit of weeping now and again. Making the quilt has become a lovely labour of love and I can hardly bear to be away from the sewing machine. Thank you so much for all your ideas!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I really like your thoughtful way of approaching this quilt - with the spacers, etc. It's going to be so meaningful, and also just from a fabric perspective, really neat to represent a wide array of fabrics from projects, etc.

Amy said...

Lynne, you've done it again, totally tempted me into another start! Watching Sally and Gayle with their postage stamps this year made me pull that project out too. (I may have to play in the RSC challenge next year with that one, so I have no excuses to finish mine.) I love this idea of a block a day for a year, starting with your birthday. Leaves me until December to ponder if I want to play. I hope I do! And Happy Birthday to you! I hope it's an excellent year.

Nann said...

Your process for this quilt is so sensible....I've admired "temperature" quilts but I've been stymied by the thought of choosing any random year. (Understandably, 2020 might actually be the year to document, but what would have been special about, say, 2016?)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I loved the process of making my circle a day scrappy during Quilty 365 - your approach here could be my next daily effort. Terrific idea!