Thursday, August 20, 2020

Jack and Jill with round robin squares, top completed

This Jack and Jill is made from my 2 1/2 inch squares bins and those exchanged with my quilt group's quarantine round robin exchange.

84 by 72 inches
You can make the quilt any size you want. These directions are for the 72 by 84 inch quilt top I made. I did include many objects and kept them oriented the same way but that is not necessary.

I sewed it in seven 6-row panels to help reduce the  stress on the fabrics to sew it as 42 individual rows. Also, sewing individual rows onto a mother-ship really irritates me.
Below is my process.

Cutting
Prints:
Cut lots of 2 1/2 inch scrap squares. For this quilt it took 1008.
Solid:
Cut lots of 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch rectangles. For this quilt it took 245.
Cut a few 2 1/2 inch squares. For this quilt it was 14
(note, numbers are by estimating and I may be off a few.)

Unit piecing
Piece four scrap squares into 224 units, sew a solid rectangle onto the end of each.
Sew a square onto the end of seven of them.
DO NOT PRESS YET
Remaining scraps and solids will be used to help make the rows stagger

Assembly
Sew 210 of the units with the rectangles into 5 unit rows.
DO NOT PRESS YET

Lay out six of these into rows. You will use the remaining units and squares and rectangles to bring your rows to 72 inches. This is six units long but most of the rows have the final unit split to the beginning and end of the row.

Row 1: five units with solid leading, add one unit to the end PRESS to left
Row 2: five units with added one scrap leading and a rectangle and three scraps ending PRESS to right
Row 3: five units with added two scraps leading and a rectangle and two scraps ending PRESS to left
Row 4: five units with added three scraps leading and a rectangle and one scrap ending PRESS to right
Row 5: five units with scraps leading, add one unit to the end PRESS to the left
Row 6: five units with a solid square and four scraps leading, one solid square ending PRESS to the right
Left side of panel 
Right side of panel
Assemble the six rows, pressing seams up as each row is added.
Make seven panels.

Assemble the 7 panels into the top
All seams will nest

My design, use at your pleasure.

14 comments:

darlynn said...

As always, love your quilts and use of solids. That green, oh my!
When I went to pin the quilt, I did not have a link to "edit".
I always like to give credit to the maker. Not sure if it was user error on my part or what. I have been able to edit your pins in the past.
Just letting you know

d

darlynn said...

ps...I also wanted to add: when I "googled" you, you have your own section on using solids in quilts! Way to go Lynn!!!!

Test said...

This is perfect for my box of 2 1/2" squares cut from the last pieces of fabric. Might try this with a blue print as the main fabric. Thanks!

Amy said...

I was just rooting around my 30s repro prints, and found a stack of solids. This may just be my way out of two tubs down to one! Thanks, Lynn!

Jenny said...

Oooh, that's a lot of work. Such a great idea to join in with other friends for a scrap exchange to use during these trying times. I'm sure all the 2020 year quilts will have stories to tell, why they were made, and what was happening in our countries as the pandemic sweeps around the world.
Stay safe.

Nann said...

I like your instructions: "cut lots." (I think back to a book I bought when I was a novice quilter. It featured an elaborate chart system to determine exactly how much of each fabric was needed by calculating the precise measurement of each patch in a block, then multiplying by the number of blocks, and adding the precise measurement of each part of the sashing and border. That was far too fussy and tedious for me -- and shortly thereafter I discovered scrappy quilts where "cut lots" makes perfect sense.)

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying making this quilt. You are so generous with your instructions/patterns/advice. Thank you!

Sharon

Beth said...

HI! I love your quilts and I can't thank you enough for posting this one. My 2 1/2 inch squares box/tote/storage unit is overflowing. I will be able to skip the cut "lots" step!!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Very pretty quilt. "Mothership", ha ha. I feel the same, and love piecing a quilt in sections, not rows.

Cathy said...

Thanks for the instructions. I love it and will be making one.

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you Lynn, this one has been added to my list!

audrey said...

What a gorgeous looking top! Very rich looking.:)

KatieQ said...

Thank you for posting this tutorial. This is a fun way to use up scraps.

Julierose said...

I have a ton of mini charms that i need to use up--(don't know why I bought so many) anyway...I like this idea a lot...that green is lovely...hugs, Julierose