Sunday, August 09, 2020

tines


I saw a quilt called Cogs from the 2012 Texas Mennonite Quilt Sale that I really liked. I could not find the origin of the design so I drafted my block with different proportions and fabric placement. I am making another version with yet another proportion and placement change.
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/Texas-Mennonite-Sale-and-Auction-features-quilts-9510245.php

It is made with partial seam sewing and goes together very quickly. I let the directional fabrics spin though the center square lines up with one of the tines units.
(If you know the origin of the block please let me know so I can credit the designer.)

EDIT: Nann Hilyard alerted me to this similar pattern from GE Designs. The proportions are a bit different and it uses 2 1/2 inch strips.
https://gequiltdesigns.com/collections/patterns/products/strip-twist-pattern

EDIT 2: Preeti also has a delightful tutorial with a similar block with different proportions:
https://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/2014/10/paulitiks.html

I am naming it Tines because it looks like the tines of the rake we used for straw and alfalfa. I showed the block to my sister without telling her this and she said, "It looks like tines." So, at least two of us get the agricultural reference!

Block finishes 10 inches
I am making 72 blocks to set 9 by 8, to finish 90 by 80.

Cutting
Solid: four rectangles 1 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches
Print: four rectangles 3 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches, one 2 1/2 inch square

Sewing and Pressing
Sew solid rectangles to print rectangles, press towards solid

Using partial seam sewing technique, sew one of these units to the square, sewing along the solid fabric, about 1 1/2 inches down the square, then backstitch a few stitches.
Starting the partial seam
Add remaining units, sewing from the square to the outside of the block--wait with pressing until all seams are finished.
Adding the units
Finish sewing the partial seam. This step is a bit fiddly. Depending on the fabric, start from the outside of the block or from the square. I find batiks work better from the square and regular fabrics work better from the outside.
Completing the partial seam
From back of block press all assembly seams away from center square. All seams will be pressed to the solid.
Finish pressing from the front of the block, using spray.
I found I kept organized by sewing the solids to the rectangles of a stack of blocks, then sew the square partial seam to the stack. Then I would work with 3 or 4 blocks to completion.
You could do strip sewing of the solids to the prints then cut apart. I don't bother with that as I don't work from yardage and it would be impractical.
It would require a length of 26+ inches of solid (1 1/2 inch) and print (3 1/2 inches).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This partial stitching looks very difficult! And the "Go Away" fabric is stellar.

ceci

Preeti said...

I love this block. I used it to make a quilt for my husband. Of course, there were several iterations before my picky husband zeroed in on a pattern. When I completed the quilt, I shared a tutorial on my blog. It has been very popular and I have received much love from the readers :-) If you wish to check it, here is the link - https://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/2014/10/paulitiks.html

Lynn Dykstra said...

Preeti--thank you for the link! I like how the proportions can change the look of this block. Excellent tutorial!

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Nice blocks, but it looks like a hassle to make them!
My daughter moved from Greece to Belgium last year. They speak Greek at home and Dutch everywhere else. The little one is 2 years old. Every time I tell her: "Are you grandma's big girl?" or "you are a clever girl" she answers. "Nee, ik kleine meisje" !!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Thanks for sharing your directions. I love the block and look forward to using it.