Monday, July 12, 2021

62 to 63--a calendar quilt in the time of covid--top completed

62 to 63, A calendar quilt in the time of Covid
88 by 76 inches

Block finishes 4 inches
366 pieced blocks, 52 plain blocks
Set 19 blocks across and 22 rows

I started this on my birthday in 2020 and finished it in time for my next. 
Here is where I started it:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2020/08/calendar-quilt-year-in-life-62-to-63.html
There are 366 pieced squares--one for each birthday and every day in between and adding a plain block between each Saturday and Sunday.
I rotated every other block so there are only corners to match. Saturday and Sunday are horizontal blocks.

Block cutting
Solid: two rectangles 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches; two rectangles 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches
Print: one 2 1/2 inch square
Press all seams away from the center square

Plain blocks
Solid: one 4 1/2 inch square

Hints:
Cut and piece a stack of blocks occasionally instead of making yourself work on it every day
I made a row at a time, then added it to the mothership, pressing each row towards the top.
Sometimes I made a partial row and added it leaving room to sew on the rest of the row later
To protect the fragile edge during a year of work I stay-stitched the top row right away, and would stay-stitch the sides every 3-4 rows.

Some of the fabrics have very special meaning to me. Fabrics from my mother and grandmothers. Fabrics from friends. The choices for each day were commemorating events/birthdays/etc. Or simply that I really liked the fabric.
There is a special section with a vial for the day I scheduled my vaccines, and two different syringe fabrics for my vaccination days.
There is Ruth Bader Ginsburg fabric, Anthony Fauci fabric, chaos fabric for January 6th. There are tractors and corn commemorating planting and harvest. 
It was a constant in this year of troubles. I am glad to have made it.

My design, use at your pleasure.

10 comments:

julieQ said...

I love it!! So much fun! Our numbers of covid are down substantially...from 122 patients in our hospital, to 3, now back up to 16 with the Delta variant. I am glad you have this quilt, too...a good thing in a bad year.

Carolyn said...

I love this...what a wonderful memory of the year that was! It's so bright and cheerful too, it would make me happy to use it! Well done!

Julierose said...

Great project for a difficult time in our lives. It turned out beautifully..nice work hugs, Julierose

Mego said...

Absolutely fantastic...and what a great 'memory' of the pandemic year!

Cathy said...

What a delightful memory quilt! The design is simple and very effective. Congrats on another stellar quilt top!

Amy said...

Happy birthday, Lynn! I love your Covid quilt. It's so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

How lovely to see this completed! I was so inspired by this that I started my own calendar quilt on my birthday, April 1. I have three months together now I’ve made a few mistakes, including missing a plain square between Saturday and Sunday so I had to do some seam ripping. Then I went out and bought some fabric with a seam ripper on to commemorate that day! It is a most fun project.

cityquilter grace said...

just plain gorgeous

Carol E. said...

Wonderful quilt! I love it!

Also, your Horizon quilt pattern was once again put to good use. Check out my July 27 blog post: https://giraffedreams.blogspot.com

Gayle from MI said...

This isnabsolutely beautiful!