Saturday, December 19, 2020

cake stand, top completed

Cake Stand
About 80 by 90 inches
Set on point with 98 blocks

Block finishes 8 inches
Cutting (using the EZ angle or Bonnie Hunter's tool for triangles)

Solid: one triangle from 4 1/2 inch strip, six triangles from 2 1/2 inch strip
Print: two triangles from 4 1/2 inch strip, four triangles from 2 1/2 inch strip, one 2 1/2 inch square, two 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch rectangles

Piecing directions are posted here:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2020/06/cake-stand.html

Setting triangles
I over-cut these so there would be a float. 
Corner triangles cut with sides about 8 1/2 inches
Side corners cut with hypotenuse about 14 inches

On point quilts are a pain, but I like the effect when it is done. Also, those setting triangles are a great place to use directional fabrics.

My design, use at your pleasure.

Dr Fauci made it into a setting triangle
Fabric from Spoonflower

5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I do like the way you have used a mix of light and dark backgrounds for the cake stands, light on light and dark on dark in some blocks, very effective.

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO SO SO wonderful - I love this one!

gayle said...

I LOVE this so much!

Nann said...

Cake Stand is one of my favorite blocks. I like your high-volume, colorful version!

Amy said...

Ooo, this one is sooo tempting! I have a cake stand in 30s fabrics that still needs applique. Hmmm, maybe that should be my next handwork project, then I can play with this one! Thank you so much for the directions.