Sunday, December 20, 2020

propeller

Propeller 
Block finishes 9 inches.
I plan to set 8 by 10 to finish 72 by 90 (80 blocks) or 9 by 10 to finish 81 by 90 (90 blocks).

This is a simplified version of Tines I posted about a few months ago, again using partial seaming.  The orientation of the blades is different with them sewn to the short side of the print rectangles instead of the long side.
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2020/08/tines_9.html

It is also visually a variation of the St Brigid cross (Whirlygig) that I made in 2019.
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2019/09/whirlygig.html

Cutting
Solid: one square 3 1/2 inches, four rectangles 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches
Print: four rectangles 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches

Construction
Sew solid rectangles to prints, press towards the solid
Sew rectangles to center square using partial seaming, always stitching from the square toward the edge of the block, keeping the square on bottom and the seams off the center square pointing away from the square.
Press these seams away from center square first from the back, then from the front. I do a bit of spray starch for my final press.

My design, use at your pleasure.