Monday, July 17, 2023

Driven Rain: 16-patch chain, top completed, block and top construction tutorial


Driven Rain: a 16-patch chain
Top completed 2023
96 by 80 inches
120 blocks set 10 across and 12 down
Block finishes 8 inches
Piece count: 1920 total: 480 solid, 1440 scrap

I had let a pile of scraps build up, mainly from taking in other people's fabrics. After several sessions cutting them down, my 2 1/2 inch squares darks and brights bins (two) were topped off and that is my trigger to make a plan to use lots of them.

I keep these size bins active:
2 1/2 inch squares, 2 inch squares, 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch rectangles, 1 1/2 inch squares
-Lights/neutrals
-Darks/brights
-30's repros
-Solids
I keep the pieces stacked. This helps me look along the edges for colors I am looking for. Also keeps the pieces from getting wrinkled. Each bin is a quilt ready to happen.

This time I went with a chain of squares in the midst of the darks/brights. I again chose Kona Ice Frappe (SKU# K001-1173). It stands out well in the chaos..

Bins before this quilt

Bins after this quilt!

16-patches are my go-to for both efficiency and creativity. I love this block.

For each block make 4 pairs of scraps and add a solid
Then add a scrap to the bottom of two and to the top of two
Make units then half blocks, pressing units as indicated 
do not press the half blocks
Make blocks by rotate one half block.
Press blocks to one side
Take two blocks, rotate bottom one and sew into pairs
Sew pairs of blocks into fours
Press joining seams in one direction and rotate right one to make into units of 8 blocks
Make 15 units of 8 blocks and lay out into three rows of 5 units
Quilt is 10 blocks across, 12 blocks down, 120 total blocks.
My design--use at your pleasure.
Backing is by Miriam Bos for Dear Stella

9 comments:

Donnie said...

Another winner. I am so inspired by your quilts.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow. Just love the whole quilt. It is amazing how all those scraps made such a stupendous quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jenny said...

Another lovely quilt, thanks for showing us your designs. I'm currently working on your Horizon design in darks with bright strips for a boy. Next I might try one using neutral florals with bright strips for a girl, this is a great simple pattern for donation quilts.

Linda Smith said...

I love to see what you choose for the backs,
Another winner.

eileen said...

Great use of all these scraps, thanks for the idea!!!

San said...

Lovely!

San / Gypsy Quilter

Sally Langston Warren said...

Oh my. Another fabulous solid with prints quilt! I can’t keep up with you….I have tried. Great idea to keep the cut pieces flat in a container. I had been keeping mine in plastic bags. I can lay them flat in the bags but I like your storage container idea better. It’s been a mess with plastic bags of so many size scraps.

Margie said...

I love your scrappy quilts! Thank you for sharing your instructions with us! This quilt will be on my to-do list. Just need to pick a focus color.

Sharon J said...

Beautiful!!