Monday, July 31, 2023

a new liturgical piece--ordinary time stole for a new pastor




I had retired from making liturgical pieces. I find them taxing to make in the over-thinking I do in how they will look from a distance and close up, symbolism, how to personalize them, how to make them meaningful. It takes a lot out of me!

This spring when Rev. Nickerson joined our pastoral staff, the church asked me to make one as a gift from the congregation and, though overwhelmingly busy with work, stepped in as I had some ideas.

Ordinary time is a special time in the liturgical calendar as there is nothing special going on! That appeals to me. How precious ordinary time is.

The color for ordinary time is green. Liz said she favors green on the blue/green side of it and I found a lovely duckegg colored silk from Mood. It is a shot silk. so from different angles it looks dull green to vivid turquoise.  
Because she focuses on family ministry, I liked the idea of duckegg as the children tend to follow her like baby ducks.
I asked for verses/imagery to think of and she mentioned loving verses of eagles on wing and of solid rock foundations.

The piece is quilted with 4 rows of thread making a trinity of channels that look like thermals that eagles glide upon. The lining is a lovely striped linen that reminds me of the limestone wall of St Pauls in the chancel.  

See what I mean that these take a lot out of me? A joy, but, a lot.

My time was limited to work on this by Installation Sunday, so I put out word to church friends who are good with a needle to meet me in the balcony with their thimbles to help with the handwork of the binding. We sewed through the second hymn of the service to get it finished in time for the installation after the sermon. Sneaked it up the side aisle.



Members of the congregation signed lining at the reception and I like the idea of them embracing with love. I have a few people select tiny buttons and choose where to place them. 
Ordinary objects representing seeds in ordinary time.

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

No one knows how much goes in to a piece like you made. It does take it out of you. You are probably relieved that it is done.

Anonymous said...

How very special for this pastor. Yes, you put into words how very much of ourselves go into our projects. It’s lovely.I don’t have a google account. Kathleen

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I love everything about this post. Thank you. I have a dear friend who will be ordained in the next few months -- you've given me some excellent ideas.

Barbara Anne said...

Lovely idea and finished stole with the signatures of the congregation on the back.

About 30 years ago, I made a Pentecost stole for our pastor using odd bits of fabrics (from batik to cotton to lace to bandana to a diaper!) while a quilting friend in the congregation made one for the associate pastor and the congregation signed the quilt's backing fabric. The scraps were used to make a quilt for the associate pastor's 20th anniversary at the church. When we got a new pastor years later, I made another one.

If you're interested, there is a wonderful book of church vestments that is "The Patchwork Pilgrimage" by Jill Liddell. It was published in 1993 by Viking Studio Books.

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The finished piece is so special for SO many reasons. I believe you when you shared how much mental effort something like this requires. But how marvelous that you have done it!

Lori said...

What a special piece from the congregation! I'm sure she was touched by it.

Amy said...

The stole is lovely, perfect. Your ideas and effort will be appreciated by your new pastor and her congregations for years to come. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It turned out beautifully!

San said...

What an incredible gift. You are to be commended for coming up with such a great idea.

Bernie Kringel said...

I appreciate the thought you put into all of your projects but the stole is outstanding. It will be appreciated and loved for years to come.