Sunday, July 24, 2022

alphabet medallion (alphabet F), top completed. Primitive Gatherings letters (adapted), my set


Alphabet Medallion 
about 67 inches square

Letters are based on Primitive Gatherings Mini Alphabet Quilt by Lisa Bongean.
https://www.primitivegatherings.us/mini-alphabet-quilt

I made major changes in construction and used larger backgrounds to the outsides of the blocks so my blocks finish 7 by 8 inches. (7 1/2 by 8 1/2 unfinished)
I used Doug Leko's Simple Folded Corners tool to achieve simplified construction versions of the letters.
https://antlerquiltdesign.com/collections/notions/products/mini-simple-folded-corners-ruler

I design medallion quilts as I go, thinking ahead one step as I work on a section.

I cut sashings 1 1/2 inches and made the odd log cabin style blocks (finished 8 by 9 inches) for the corners, leaving sashings and cornerstones off the log cabins. This completed the blocks part of the medallion. It is a bit wider than it is long.
At this point it measured finished 49 inches wide and 46 inches long. (I think...)

I prefer quilts to be either square or longer than they are wide, so decided to make a checkerboard 3 squares wide on the sides and 4 squares wide on the top and bottom, with the squares cut 2 inches, finishing 1 1/2 inches.
To make the math work, I added a 1 1/2 inch cut striped spacer border around the letters.
At this point it was 51 inches wide and 48 inches long. (again, not positive on the numbers)
After the checkerboard I sketched out additional intricate borders, but they seemed to distract from the alphabet, so I added a simple striped border, cut 4 inches.
It then finishes up about 67 inches square.

I am happy with it! I started it in December and set it aside while the Spring semester took my brain. 
All the fabric was on my shelves except for the stripe. Lots of favorites from decades of purchases. Some bits from a trip to Japan in 1989 were all used up.
I may cut the stripe on the bias for the binding.

This is my 6th (F) alphabet. The 7th (G) is being planned on paper--watch for a red and white alphabet over the next months! And the 8th (H) is also planned.

The setting is mine--use at your pleasure.

5 comments:

julieQ said...

I am in vast love with this quilt!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome design. Congratulations for making my favorite quilt of yours, ever, ever, ever!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This reminds me of the wooden blocks of my childhood (early 1940s) which I think had checkerboard on one or more sides of the block. This one is very attractive and bold.

Jenny said...

I love alphabet quilts and have made two so far, some time ago now. Perhaps I need to stitch another one? Yours looks marvelous.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a great finish! I love the setting you've created for this one. And, I spy a cute conversational I used to have! The bunny and tortoise, so charming.

abelian said...

Thanks for giving us the details of your changes. I have the original pattern, but haven't tried it yet. I like the additional elbow room your larger block gives the letters. Your Solids on Prints series is a continuing inspiration to me. Dot