Friday, July 03, 2020

remains 16-patch, top completed

Remains 16-patch quilt

54 by 72 inches

1336 neutral 2 inch cut squares
80 16-patches
7 half 16-patches
49 solid rectangles cut 3 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches

When I was making the 16-patches for Calico Rose I would set aside the lighter/neutral squares. These filled up their own shoe-box and in sorting them out I discovered I had sorted them in--into their own project.
I made a pile of 16 patches. This quilt used up 80 of the blocks. There are several projects ahead in that stack.

There are many ways to piece a 16-patch. Here is what worked for this project to kept all seams nesting:

Sew 2 inch cut squares into a unit of 4, pressing seams to one direction.
Flip alternate units and sew 4 units together to make a 16-patch block.
Press all seams to one side
Sew solid unit to 16-patch, keeping orientation of seams vertical.
Press towards the 16-patch. 
Sew together 7 of these units, adding on a 16-patch and a half 16-patch onto one end. This will make one vertical row.
Make seven rows.
Press all seams in same direction the 16-patches are pressed
Flip alternate rows and sew together.

Make two more rows, one each for the right and left side with twelve 16-patch blocks. Press joining seams in same direction the 16-patches are pressed.
Orient these side rows to make the seams nest with the sewn center section of the quilt.
All seams will nest.
I used Kona 855 Prairie Sky for the blue. I love the summer feel to this quilt. Scraps are from decades of quilt projects, including some from my mother and my friends.
My design, use at your pleasure.

4 comments:

Paulette said...

That's so pretty! Thanks for sharing the process.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I do love the idea of low volume sixteen patches. MUST put this on my to-do list to use up some of my overflowing low volume stash.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a very pretty quilt! Love the low volumes being used in this way.

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing is the way the solids are 1/2 as wide as the 16 patches; very satisfying somehow.

ceci