Tuesday, April 14, 2020

vamoose! (tunnel), top completed

Tunnel, Suitcase, Purse, Fireplace, Hurdles
This has become the Rorschach test of patterns with every viewer seeing something different. I thought to call this Away, but that is the name of a suitcase company (a suitcase I own and really like) and I don't want to get into any copyright disagreements.
Vamoose is a word I don't think I've ever used. It was an exotic one we would hear on tv, one that someone from a city would use. And a funny word. (I now live in the city and have never heard it here either--I wonder if city people think it is something farm people say.)
So, Vamoose! it is.

Vamoose!
117 blocks set 9 by 13 to finish 81 by 91 inches
Block finishes 7 by 9 inches

Cut
Solid: one 5 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch rectangle, two 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch rectangle
Print: one 4 1/2 by 9 1/2 inch rectangle, three 3 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch rectangles

Pressing
Press seams away from center small rectangle.
Do not press final horizontal seam until assembly

Assembly
Sew into columns
Press alternating columns with the final seam and the joining seam up or down
All seams will nest

I like the straight set for this, making the look of handles on cases. I played with a staggered set that I liked too which gave a bit of a parkour look to the quilt.

My design. Use at your pleasure.




7 comments:

abelian said...

I always thought it was a cowboy's word. It comes from the Spanish word "vamos", meaning "Let's go!"

I love your prints on solids series! Dot

abelian said...

Oops! SOLIDS on PRINTS!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Vamoose is a good word! I see suitcases! Don't I wish I could be traveling to see my kids, or them traveling to see us, right about now.

Julierose said...

Oh this tells me that your "suitcases" want to be packed and ready for you to travel--;)))
We are all in such a state of suspended animation in our homes...
Very pretty pattern...
~ ~ ~ waves from Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I learned the word as a child (Michigan). Possibly from cartoons on TV or maybe from a book - don't remember. But VAMOOSE is a terrific name for this top.

Quilter Kathy said...

I definitely see suitcases or briefcases... lots of people going somewhere!
Definitely not a COVID scene... nobody can go anywhere! LOL

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW awesome!! Thanks for sharing your "recipe" with us. What fun it will be when I work my way around to giving this quilt a try!