Thursday, June 20, 2019

16 patch

16 patch
Block finishes 10 inches
I plan to set it 8 by 9, to finish 80 by 90 inches, so 72 blocks needed.

Solid: cut eight 3 inch squares
Print: cut eight 3 inch squares

Sew into sets of four. Press each set towards the side that ends with a print.
Seams will nest.
Then press all to one side.
I make sure each block finishes with a solid in the left upper corner.

Setting will involve flipping every other row so all seams will nest.
I make my blocks out of squares as I am using scraps of fabric, not yardage.
Wanda Hanson has a great tutorial in making an 8 inch block using strips from yardage.

I love the 16 patch block. Such a wonderfully strong grid, then the colors of the blocks shake it up.
It looks great on a small scale or large scale. I made this one several years ago from reclaimed fabric of plaid shirts. These blocks finished 6 inches and were made from 2 inch cut squares.


1 comment:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oooo, love these. Sixteen patches are great. You get more oomph visually from each individual fabric, but still a scrappy look.