Friday, June 07, 2019

mom's quilts

My sisters and I gathered in May to do paperwork and distribute our mother's possessions. We had tea using her teacups.
Chairs and equipment went to elderly relatives. Clothes went to a memory care patient of a granddaughter. 

Photographs are a minefield of emotions we deferred for another time.

The quilts went into several piles--for each of us and for our children and grandchildren. There were a few that mom made herself; most were made by me.
We chose one I made for mom to give her caregiver  Gwen who was a cheerful visitor to our mother every evening. 
We also pulled one patriotic one I had made for my father to go to our friend Hugo who became a US citizen this spring. Our country is better with him.
I wrote a friend, also a nurse, who was asking how I was doing:
"For years I have been telling my hospice families that our archetypes of Father=Protection and Mother=Life go far beyond our love of the person. Living that now. I can let mom go. I cannot let go of needing a mother."

8 comments:

Lilac Joan said...

I have found that no matter what age you are when you lose your mother, you are an orphan. No love is like a Mother's love. And I had the best for only 28 years.

Jenny said...

It's always a sad time going through your mother's things. Deciding who gets what, things to keep, and things to donate. Very stressful for you all, but you are making progress together. I'm thinking of you and your sisters working together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love that you took some of the quilts to give to important people. Your mom would have liked that, I'm sure.

Ann said...

Yes, we always need parents and I miss both every day. It’s wonderful that you and your sisters found others to share the quilts and her possessions with. Congratulations to Hugo and welcome to US citizenship.

Marie said...

I don't think that we ever let go of needing a mother. Lovely quilt gifts to two very lovely and deserving people.

Sally Langston Warren said...

Isn’t it wonderful to have two sisters to help with going through your mother’s things and making decisions? Our mother died in February and we have started that process. It’s been hard for all three be at her house at one time (work, distance) but we keep trying. So much to go through and so many memories. Do you have any tips to share?
I am one who came to your blog from Wanda’s! I have enjoyed seeing all your quilts with solid/print combos. Such inspiration!! Thank you!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

just recently found your blog - through Wanda - I can identify with this post as my siblings and I went through our mother's items a few years ago - it is difficult but it certainly helps having family to do that with

The Quilting Elf said...

Thank you for your thoughts on how you distributed your mother's quilts. Your comments about the recipients was another way to honor your mom. I love your quilts and your blog.