Thursday, September 24, 2026

overlapped stars, red and white, top completed

Overlapped Stars
85.5 by 67.5 inches
top completed 2026

While cutting out pieces for Red and White Sticks, I cut for this quilt too. And, there will be more coming!
This quilt has been in my head for a while. I like how the block appears to be an overlapped 9-patch, with each star sharing corners with its neighbors. But I constructed it as a 16-patch.
I had been planning the finished star points to meet at the goose points, but after making Julia Davis' more airy stars in Summer Stars (link HERE), I changed my planned proportions.
This yields a goose shape with a dull point. Which makes more red and I like this!
If you want a traditional sharp point, replace the 5 inch cut red squares with 4 1/2 inch cut squares.

Red squares
5 inches cut, some with two corners remvoed using Doug Leko's folded corners tool, some remain whole.
For this quilt I used 285 total 5-inch squares, trimmed two sides of 128 of them, leaving 157 untrimmed.

White triangles I used Kona Snow
cut from 2 1/2 inch strips using Easy Angle or Bonnie Hunter's Triangle Tool
I used 256 triangles for this quilt.

The block can be made using a folded courner technique, but I prefer to conserve fabric and cut triangles. The little dog-ear missing from using the Easy Angle fits just right to help place the white triangle onto the already trimmed red square. After sewing on the starpoint I trim away the remaining dog-ear before pressing.

I constructed the quilt in 16-patches. Each 16-patch includes a full star and points for adjoining stars. I kept partial stars out of the perimeter. This gives a self-border and keeps the 32 complete stars contained.
SO, the below block shows an interior block--the perimeter blocks don't have the partial star points on the edge of the quilt.
Sew into colums and press odd colums down and even colums up
Wait to press to the side until layout happens
Most of the blocks are 16-patches.
The other blocks continue as partial 16-patch blocks, continuing the pressing patterns.
To resolve the sides and bottom, the final blocks on the right have three colums in width.
The bottom row has three squares in lenght 
Once in rows, press even rows west and odd rows east.
Press these completed sections south
Everything nests!
My design, use at your pleasure.