Wednesday, February 22, 2023

purple alphabet in progress using Alyce Blyth from Blossom Heart's pattern

Another alphabet!
I don't make a purple quilt very often. I use purple in my quilts, but decided to make it the focus of this alphabet.

Alyce Blyth has a free quilt-along on her blog Blossom Heart Quilts from 2013, Easy as ABC.
https://www.blossomheartquilts.com/easy-as-abc-qal/

It has delightful chunky modern looking letters for which I used eggplant-range purple batiks on a subtle horizontal washed greyed lavender ground.
I pretty much stuck to her letters with a few alterations and construction changes.
I did re-scale letters from a 2 inch (2 1/2 inch cut) grid to a 1 1/2 inches (2 inch cut) grid.
I kept the frames cut at her 1 1/2 inches.

With this variation, my letters finish 4 1/2 by 6 inches, finish 7 1/2 by 9 with the background, and my final framed blocks finish 9 1/2 by 11 inches.
The background frames are cut 2 by 6 1/2 inches for sides and 2 by 8" for the top and bottom.
The purple frames are cut 1 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches for the sides and 1 1/2 by 10 for the top and bottom.


This little chart helped me stay on track

1 square        1 1/2" finished         2" cut
2 squares       3" finished              3 1/2" cut
3 squares       4 1/2" finished        5" cut
4 squares       6" finished              6 1/2" cut

Examples--something 1 by 3 squares was cut 2 by 5"; 2 by 2 was cut 3 1/2 square

I am struggling a bit with the X and may have to resort to paper piecing--a technique I greatly dislike. There is a right brain/left brain thing with it that makes me unhappy to work with it.

BUT, what a great pattern! I am mulling ideas for how to put together and border it.


2 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oooo very cool, modern. You are getting to be expert at alphabets.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn,
Another alphabet ! Wowser!
Perhaps the B would look better if done like the D
but with a notch in the side like the top of the M?
And might be fun to move the lower arm of the F
up next to the top one, (as in the lower part of E)?
Signing as anonymous, but I’m Jane 🤗