Friday, January 01, 2021

start at the very beginning

I started this alphabet today--actually two. One with batik scraps and the other with 30's repros and a constant green. I think I will go forward with both.
https://my.modafabrics.com/2019/02/moda-spell-it-with-fabric

If you download it and print double sided, then fold in half at the horizontal, staple it, it makes a book.
Letters finish 10 by 8 before sashings/spacers

I have learned so far:
-Write the cut sizes larger as they are small and in green print. I have already made mistakes.
-Change the cutting when it doesn't make sense. On the B the right side does not need so many pieces. I made the two squares and two rectangles of that side into two rectangles 3 1/2 by 2 1/2.
-Press the way it wants to be pressed, not the way they say to. With the batiks behaving differently from the 30's fabric, I let them do what they wanted.
-I am using Doug Leko's simple folded corners mini. Any flipped triangle method would work but I like this one. Link below.

Anyone want to join me on this?
I am not rushing this. It may turn out to be a several months project.
I am not worrying about the sashing/spacers/layout for now.
There is also a mini version of these. Link below.

3 comments:

abelian said...

I've been saving alphabet block patterns for years; it's probably time for me to use them! My stash is limited after a cross-country move, and I can't get out to shop yet, but I'm going to see what I can do.

I completely agree with eliminating unnecessary seams, as you did in the B. Dot

Jenny said...

It will be interesting to see your alphabet blocks grow. Keeping things simple when stitching and cutting certaknly makes sense.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Ooh I will love seeing how your alphabet blocks progress. I am sorely tempted to join in, but have to show restraint for now lol.