Friday, January 15, 2021

calendar quilt--a year half passed

I started this calendar quilt on my birthday in July. The thought behind it was marking off the days during quarantine. A bit of hubris to start a year-long project when we are in danger of the pandemic.
Most weeks I catch up on Saturdays as I do not work on it every day. I choose a square based on events, thoughts, moods. Most often I choose a fabric that reminds me of a family member or a friend, selected because I thought of them that day. Some of the fabrics are from these people. Sometimes it is just a fabric or color I love.
And sometimes it gets the mood of the day. There are little nurses and a Dr Fauci back when the vaccine was released. There is a Ruth Bader Ginsburg too.
Sadly, this week I included a chaos block for when the Capital was stormed.
Let us hope for calm going forward.

I cut solids when I have solids out for other projects. I cut squares ahead too.
Blocks are made ahead and kept in a box ready to pull from as they fit the day, or a fabric is sought out to commemorate a day.
The smartest thing I did in designing the quilt was to have a spacer between each Saturday and Sunday, making it easier to see where I left off.

Click on the "calendar quilt" label below to read previous posts detailing block construction and quilt design.
My design, use at your pleasure.



4 comments:

Julierose said...

What a creative idea--quite a memory quilt this will become...
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Marvelous!!!!!

Sharon J said...

Love it!

darlynn said...

you know the nurses and Fauci are making my day~ Great quilt.