Tuesday, May 05, 2020

remains, quilt completed

Remains, 2015
47 by 69 inches

This uses the "serendipity snakes" method I explain here on my blog. My mom taught me this method over 30 years ago, she learned it from a friend.
The strips were the leftovers from my 1 1/2 inch strip drawer, picked over and not used after several projects that made a big dent in them. I love this quilt. It reminds me of the rugs made on a treadle loom by our neighbor Charlotte Pals. I liked to lie on her floor and feel the vibrations of the loom as she worked.

It was beautifully quilted by Suzette Fisher.
I must draw attention to my long-arm quilters, Suzette Fisher and Sue DiVarco who allow me to be as productive as I am.

I have been posting a quilt a day on my Facebook (private family) page as a way to ward off a bit of despair in these quarantine times. I decided to re-post here some of my past quilts that never had a proper photograph taken.

13 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is beautiful! A lovely way to use those strings.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love this and the story behind it.

Jenny said...

I am so sorry to read that you are suffering from despair in these troubling times. Do hope it passes soon, but with the world news we have to wonder when. Sending you good wishes and a virtual hug from far away New Zealand.

Chantal said...

Great job! ;^)

Carol said...

I really enjoy all of your quilts but this one rocks! So beautiful in its simplicity. Well done!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oh it's a terrific quilt. Just yesterday I found myself adding to my bag of 1 1/2 inch strips..... they seem to mulitiply. This is such a neat idea.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I just searched your "serendipity snakes" tag and now I see how you sew the strips together. You have so many terrific examples of quilts made with this method!

Sandy said...

I love this! Your method is brilliant. It seems it would take miles of snake to end up with a quilt that size. Do you make more than one snake? I think I just answered my own question! Lol!

darlynn said...

isn't it crazy how leftover strips, sewn together can look so awesome. i just want to snuggle under that quilt~ Now, off to photo the red cross quilt for IG. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been saving strips for just such a project, you are an inspiration! I really need to find someone to do some quilting for me but this is perhaps not the time.

ceci

Robin said...

I have an idea for a quilt using strips. Seeing your quilt with 1 1/2" strips is quite an inspiration. I've been mulling the idea around for quite a while and I wasn't sure what size strips I want to use. This gives me a great comparison and starting point. The colors are simply great. I like your comparison to a loom as it gives the quilt another facet of interest.

Nann said...

Oh, what a terrific technique! I read your previous posts on the topic and I'm going to give this a go.

Sally Langston Warren said...

Love this quilt! The combination of fabrics/colors is so perfect, soothing, comfortable. I hope you will post more of your older quilts that haven’t had a proper showing yet. Take care. This too shall pass.