Sunday, May 31, 2020

more thoughts on artifact quiltmaking

A few months ago I wrote about making an artifact.
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2019/11/tip-50-make-artifact.html
We make quilts in joy, in sorrow, and in anger.
Political work needs to be seen as a snapshot in time. There was a reason it was made, it made sense in context.
The nature of our work is it is very labor consuming and time consuming. The emotions and ideals that are present at the start of a work can dissipate and the work seems irrelevant or can grow so intense the work itself seems inadequate.
In either case I think it is valuable to finish these artifacts.

I started on my "Hillary" quilt with excitement and set it aside in my sadness in the results of the election. But, I was determined to complete it as an artifact of that optimism.

When the 2016 election happened I named a quilt to reflect my wariness.
"...may you live in interesting times" took an otherwise traditional quilt made of the plus block on point (giving it a times symbol appearance) and making it political by naming it with the Chamberlain curse.

Now, my "Impeach" quilt. I made the top during the impeachment hearings. It channeled my frustrations during that time. It too was set aside when the Senate made their choices. But this week, after the "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" quote was used by our president, who then claimed he did not know the history of it (this white girl from Iowa knew the history of it) I decided to finish this artifact. Complete with its pink pussycat back.
I am leaving the sleeve untacked so the pussycats show.

When we are faced with these very troubling times one can feel helpless.
But,
I can be angry
I can support the afflicted
I can call attention to injustice
I can vote
I can sew




9 comments:

Louise SS said...

I applaud you!

Jenny said...

I dont really want to get into a political discussion as I do not live in your country. But i have to say the speech and actions of the President appals me, and i live half a world away.

gayle said...

Cheering!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post and a great quilt. I love everything about it--colors, quilting, lettering, and of course the message.

Sharon

Cathy said...

Lovely work! I’m another quilter who agrees with all your sentiments. And now I find myself reflecting on ideas for my own artifact/statement quilt.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I despair of our country, but your quilt is hopeful.

ceci

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Amen to this. I haven't done a lot of deliberate artifact quilting but I admire those who do, and I agree with your words. It's just... enough is enough... and getting more frightening all the time.

darlynn said...

Goodness, I do appreciate you Lynn!!! thank you and AMEN.

MeadowFibers said...

While I am on your opposite side politically, I truly believe that we all have the right to free-speech and we should all feel free to express our opinion without consequence. If your words hurt my feelings, I just need to get over it and same thing going the other way.

You make beautiful quilts and I will be following your quilt adventures. Thank you for taking the time to post them.