Sunday, March 08, 2020

rickrack

Rickrack
Block finishes 9 inches

My friend Erica made a scrap quilt on point with a log cabin variation. I loved it, revised the proportions, and adapted it to the solids/prints style.
My design from a traditional pattern. Use at your pleasure.

Fiddly cutting here but I think with great results.

Cut
Solid: One each of six rectangles cut from 1 1/2 inch strip: 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, 5 1/2, 3 1/2, 2 1/2
Print: One 2 1/2 inch square, One each of four rectangles cut from 2 1/2 inch
strip: 3 1/2, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, 8 1/2

Sewing
I found it best to sew with the narrow solid on top at each stage

Pressing
All pressing away from the 2 1/2 inch square
Patience corner pressing plan
I lay out several blocks at a time, keeping my master block in sight for sewing and for pressing.
There are several setting possibilities. I am leaning towards on point.

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love this block! I have some very textured hand dyed fabrics that I've been pondering and this would work great for them.

julieQ said...

OH Lynn! I love this block too!!! So much fun....not too fiddly!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have a project that will need 6” finished blocks ... I can use this same approach but with all 1.5” cut strips - thanks!

Mystic Quilter said...

I do like the effect of this block, think I may have to add to my project list, thanks for sharing your process.

patty a. said...

These blocks are looking good! Setting them on point makes them look more complex and interesting.

Jenny said...

That's another lovely block you are sharing with us all. Hope you are well it's been a wee while between your posts?

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's such an interesting variation on log cabin - thanks for sharing!