Friday, September 06, 2019

whirlygig (St Brigid cross)

Whirlygig (St Brigid Cross)
Block finishes 8 inches

Solid cut four rectangles 1 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches
Print cut four rectangles 3 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches

Sew solid to print, Press to the solid.
Sew into halves, pressing to vertical solid.
Sew into blocks.
I wait with pressing the final seam until setting the block.

My design, use at your pleasure.
Most of my directional prints spin around the block, fitting for a whirlygig. I did keep Alice and her print upright. Though, she did fall down the rabbit hole and spinning would have been fine for her too.
Planning 120 blocks set 10 by 12, to finish 80 by 96 inches.
Will piece it into 4 block units then 8 block units. I'll describe that in the setting post.
I anticipate the solids forming a lattice over the top.

Isn't that orange/black batik in the sample block lovely? I bought a remnant of it and it is nearly all used up.


3 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Another great pattern and a wonderful combination of intriguing fabrics.

Cathy said...

This looks like a fun one. Thanks for sharing your patterns. I need to invest in some solids and try some of your patterns. What great scrap busters.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love this quilt Lynn, thanks for sharing with us size of the blocks and the making. I think this would be a quilt I need to make to use up some of my collected pieces of scraps.