Saturday, November 17, 2012

making a tree--with apologies to Joyce Kilmer

This block finishes 16 inches. I developed this pattern, adapting several antique blocks. Use at your pleasure.
I used a Timeless Treasures red--this was on the label:
Timeless Treasures 239930 Tonga red B9390
Here is the thing with red--always buy a fabulous red. And lots of it. I bought the bolt. (14.7 yards)
I used about 7 different green batiks. In the quilt I put one lighter green in a different place on the left side of every tree.
(I use the EZ angle in cutting my triangles and will put those measures in parenthesis.)
Background:
3 triangles cut from two 6 7/8 squares, cut once diagonally--one left over (cut from 6 1/2 inch strip) I see that two triangles didn't make the picture. They will show up later.
24 triangles cut from twelve 2 7/8 inch squares, cut once diagonally (cut from 2 1/2 inch strips)
3 squares cut 2 1/2 inches
2 rectangles cut 4 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches
Tree:
30 triangles cut from fifteen 2 7/8 inch squares, cut once diagonally (cut from 2 1/2 inch strips)
4 squares cut 2 1/2 inches
1 triangle cut from one  6 7/8 squares, cut once diagonally--one left over (cut from 6 1/2 inch strip)
One 4 1/2 inch square

Piece 24 squares with the smaller triangles
Piece one square with the large tree and one of the large background triangles
Use the small tree squares to make sew-and-flip triangles on the 4 1/2 inch sides of the two background rectangles.
Lay out the large pieced square, the 4 1/2 inch tree square, and the two backgrounds with the flipped triangles out to make the trunk.
Lay out the tree, watching placement and directions of the triangles.
Piece the rows, put the rows together, and put the large background triangles onto the rows.
Assemble and press and admire!
I used this block for a pillow to be presented to the Schuenemann family. I added 2 1/2 inch strips on each side before quilting, trimming it all to about 20 inches after quilting then making a lap-back pillow.

Here it is on our new white sofa--are we crazy soon-to-be empty nesters or what?
The quilt has 9 blocks, with 4 alternating plain blocks plus setting triangles. I used an 8 inch border and used the red in the binding. It measures about 82 inches square.

10 comments:

regan said...

So gorgeous, Lynn! And thanks for the tutorial! (Oh, and I'd have to kick my hubby out, too, before I could get a white couch! lol Lucky you!)

http://thankfullga447 said...

It is beautiful, love the colors. thank you for sharing and getting it done.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love your tree of life block and quilt, one of my favorite blocks!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, Lynn, it's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for these instructions! I'm in love with this square!
Wait--you got a new couch?

Sharon

I Quilt for Fun said...

I love this and will definitely bookmark it for my "to do" list. Thanks so much.

Happy Thanksgiving -- I am so thankful for the generosity of quilters....

Jan

Every Stitch said...

I have just discovered your blog - love this quilt! Thanks for the tutorial. Am now a keen follower - keep up the great work :)
Every Stitch

Laura said...

Absolutely Beautiful!

RheLynn said...

Gorgeous - I may have to work up one of my own now. It is a lot like one I've been trying to track down out of a Japanese quilt pattern book.

Vivian said...

Such a bold, beautiful quilt, Lynn. Well done! I came over to check it out as you left this posting address on Lori's blog.