Thursday, February 03, 2011

16 patches and variable stars



There is a wonderful old quilt on the frontispiece of Elise Schebler Roberts' The Quilt: A History and Celebration of an American Art Form that has me cutting 2 inch strips of my plaids and making 16 patches. I love the asymmetry of the block and it is rather mindless sewing that yields a good result. The blocks finish at 6 inches.

I am also piecing 8 inch two fabric variable stars with pieced centers. They are not mindless in that I have to think what am I going to do in the center with each fabric.

4 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I just finished refolding fabric and found that I had more plaids and stripes than I realized. Now for time to do something with them. *smile*

grostedt said...

I love your use of plaids. These will go into my to do file.

miss-linny said...

those blocks, they are fab. I am just off to my sewing room (aka spare bedroom) to have a go at some of those, they will use up the various little orphans I make when trying out a new block, Thanks for the inspiration.
Linny

Anonymous said...

Those stars!! Aiyeee!!
Another beautiful inspiration...

Sharon