Tuesday, September 05, 2006

blues



I haven't gotten the binding on this yet, but it is time I update this blog.
This quilt has many influences. Of course, the Gee's Bend exhibit that was in Milwaukee a few years ago. Then, my friend Rebecca made a wonderful blue quilt from her stash. But what got this one going was the great Japanese fabric with the blue and grey and red carp. I had just a bit of it, and used it in the interior and the borders.
I took a stack of blue fabrics from my shelf, tore out a 9 inch strip from each, and free hand cut them into pieces with the rotary cutter. I sewed them into columns about 12-16 inches long, squared them up, then joined them to make the rows.

7 comments:

Hedgehog said...

I love that carp fabric and the quilt in general. Thanks for sharing it!

Judy said...

Good to see you again! Love the quilt! The fish are fabulous!

quiltpixie said...

love the maverick border... and the blues are very pretty. Looks like you must have had quite a collection :-)

Lucy said...

OOhh Lynn, What a great quilt !!!

Jenni said...

It's a great quilt. I love string quilts.

Lily Mulholland said...

What a fun way to make a quilt!

I saw some awesome Japanese carp fabric yesterday too.

comicbooklady said...

I was scanning the Quilt Mavericks list and I clicked on yours because of the name of yours. klein meisje! I love it! brings back all sorts of oma and opa memories!

I will visit again.