Monday, August 10, 2026

fancy four patch, a sew-along with Taryn Faulkner, top completed

Fancy Four Patch
86 by 74 inches
Top completed 2026

A sew-along! I love online sew-alongs and it has been a while since I've participated in one.

Taryn Faulkner who Instagrams at @reproquiltlover announced her Fancy Four-patch sew-along HERE.  She based it on a delightfully scrappy 1877 quilt by Harriet Matilda Wines. How fun to think Harriet's quilt is influencing dozens and dozens of quilts!
If you decide to make this I encourage you to pay the fee for the pattern. Taryn has many insights into how the scraps are used in the original. Let us support pattern designers!

Taryn's instructions are based on the tiny blocks of Harriet's original--the triangle squares finish 3/4 inch.
As I've done with previous vintage patterns, I scaled it up to my comfort zone.
A 4 1/2 inch block is cute.
A 6 inch block is cute enough.

I used red scraps for the darks and a variety of lights, mostly white with red, but also other colors with white as I think they gave interest.
There is one block where the triangles are oriented backwards--I kept it in.

The setting fabric is a delightful alphabet by Alison Glass by Andover Fabrics, number 1221, 2024.
I really look forward to getting this one back from the quilter!

2 comments:

patty a. said...

I can't imagine making those blocks 4 1/2"! The triangles would be tiny! The top turned out fabulous.

Nann said...

The setting fabric is terrific. I had to search to find the mis-oriented unit. Success!