Saturday, September 24, 2022

thirteen, quilt completed

Thirteen
91 by 78 inches
2022

42 blocks finishing 13 inches
My design, use at your pleasure

Directions for block construction and top assembly are here:
https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2021/08/thirteen-block-construction-and-quilt.html

Greatly influenced by Tonya Ricucci's Lego/Ellis Island quilt
Tutorial showing antique quilt inspiration: http://lazygalquilting.blogspot.com/2011/08/lego-tutorial.html
Finished quilt named Ellis Island
https://lazygalquilting.blogspot.com/2011/11/ellis-island.html

Tonya using varying lengths of fabric and has a 10 inch block. 
Mine has a 13 inch finished block and is made from 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch rectangles, plus 1 1/2 inch squares.

Made from my bin of 1 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch rectangles. Included are fabrics of my mother and grandmothers.
Every piece is a memory.
I love working with this size piece and by cutting down my scraps into rectangles, I am ready to go when an idea comes. I have a bin of 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch solid rectangles calling my name.
This quilt used mainly of darks and mediums along with brights and lights added in.

The back is a fun print from the Night Ride collection of Rae Ritchie for Dear Stella.

A perennial problem is having help hanging a quilt for photography.
Paul stepped up today!



8 comments:

Sandy said...

Thumbs up, Lynn! Wild!!

Chantal said...

Oh. My. Sizzling Bacon! You know that I want one now. I have so many 1.5" strips. Oh. I'm. Gonna. Have. FUN! Thanks, Lynn for the inspiration and Bravo! ;^)

Wendy said...

I just showed my almost 11yr old the picture of your quilt with no writing and he immediately said that looks like Lego!! Very cool and inspiring quilt 😊

Cathy said...

Wonderful. And it's another one of your blocks that inspired me to make some. Thank you.

Jeanne said...

Awesome! Yes, we're in the Legos era here with the grandsons, so Legos it is :)

Gale Bulkley said...

This is so beautiful.

Nann said...

The word that comes to mind is "intense." The variation in block orientation adds so much movement. It's great!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Amazing! I love the finished look, very special with all those small pieces. Sew very well done!