Saturday, January 01, 2022

a new year, a new alphabet

I've been working on this for a couple weeks. It will be a longer term project as spring semester course planning is taking precedence. 
I am using shirtings for the backgrounds and indigo, cadet, and royal blues for the letters; reds and madders for the sashings. I am using up some precious small pieces of Japanese fabrics from a trip there in 1989. It will be a medallion quilt so I will design it as I go.

I jokingly told a friend that instead of numbering my alphabet quilts, I should letter them as getting to 26 might be happening. This is number 6, or F.

The letters are adapted from the Primitive Gatherings Mini Alphabet by Lisa Bongean. I again used Doug Leko's folded corners tool (the small one) and Bonnie K Hunter's Essential Triangle tool to make my construction adaptations work. 

Happy New Year! Another year of uncertainty, but another year of hope.
One of my mother's expressions of wisdom, in times of uncertainty of her health, was telling my sisters and me, "Keep making plans". She did not want us to hold off on anything in anticipation of her condition changing. 
In 2022 I'll be over here in Chicago, making plans.


2 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love that - making plans - and this is shaping up to be another terrific alphabet quilt. Those shirtings are terrific!

Elaine Adair said...

Wow, so many alphabets!! Each one better than the previous!
My Dutch Robert says, "One step at a time", "slow steady positive progress", and best one is/was "Make Every Day Count". Pretty much like your Moms, "Keep making plans". 8-)))