Sunday, December 29, 2019

a return to tile

I started this Tile quilt on LeClaire, about 2 1/2 years ago. It was packed up with the move and because there is a bit of a ramp-up to the thinking in making this block it was set aside for a time for more mindful work.
It isn't a difficult block, just takes focus until a rhythm sets in. I work with a bunch of the directional fabrics at once to keep those skills going.
I will work on it then set aside once more as spring semester prep takes more brain space. I have other mindless sewing to do then.
A nice way to end the year, remembering cutting these in my attic sewing space and working with familiar fabrics, some of which were all used up for cutting these blocks. I will have to do a block count to see if any are left to be cut.
I think I planned to make 96 blocks, set 16 by 6 to finish 80 by 84. We will see if that is what happens.

Tile
Block finishes 5 by 14 inches

Cut
Solid: two rectangles 3 by 7 1/2 inches, two 3 inch squares
Print: two rectangles 3 by 7 1/2 inches, two 3 inch squares
I then use Doug Leko Simple Folded Corner Triangle Tool to cut off the corners. I had the original one when I started the quilt. I have since purchased the mini version and it works well.
The corners can be set aside for another project. I am not sure the ones I did 2 1/2 years ago survived the move.

Pressing
At first sewing of corners to chisel shape, press all seams to the solid fabrics
Second sewing of quarters, press to the predominately print sections
Third sewing of complete block, leave seam unpressed until assembly

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This is an interesting block. I bought both of Doug's rulers after you talked about them and they are great.

jenngate2002@yahoo.com said...

Fun fabrics! Appreciate the pressing directions, too.

Quilting Babcia said...

I received the mini folded corners ruler for Christmas. This looks like a very fun block to try it out! Happy new year!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Very fun interplay between print and solid. What a different block - will be fun to see what you do. Happy New Year!