Tuesday, August 20, 2019

tip #49, don't cut out everything

steps
In preparation for fall semester, while finishing up several quilt tops I cut out some projects to sew once school starts.
I am pretty sure how big each quilt will be and how many blocks will be needed, but I don't cut them all out, mainly to wait until after making a bunch of blocks to see what other colors/values/scales are needed. Also to have space for some new fabrics that may come my way while making the top.
I like to save room for about 20%.
whirlygig
cobbles

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I agree with that. It is so much more fun to add a little excitement as you go along.

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is also less tiring at the beginning . . . but I learned early to cut it all out first so now that I'm older and wiser, I keep trying to unlearn that early teaching.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I do the same thing - starch, cut, piece, press, repeat... each quilt having a general plan but also a life of its own. Looks like you have some great fabrics going.