Sunday, October 17, 2010

potato and corn chowder

Over at Pioneer Woman she has an enticing recipe for corn chowder that looked like it could help me on my quest to clean out the freezer. We are in a no-buy frozen stuff mode and have to use something out of it every day. This recipe used frozen home made chicken broth and a bag of corn Andy used to ice his knee last night. And a bit of bacon.
I made a lighter version than hers and added potatoes and substituted with what I had on hand--I'll save her version with cream for another day. Her version used fresh corn that would be wonderful. It wouldn't have helped Andy's knee though.
I made it all without leaving the house to visit the Jewel. A good day.

POTATO AND CORN CHOWDER

1/3 lb bacon, diced
3 medium onions, diced
In soup pot brown bacon slightly, stir in onions and saute until soft.
Add:
1 small can diced green chilies
1 lb cut corn
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
4 potatoes, cut into a tiny dice
2 quarts chicken broth
Cook until potatoes are done.

Stir in 1/3 cup corn meal mixed with 1/2 cup water
Simmer until slightly thickened.
Add 2 cups milk and heat through.
Top each bowl with freshly ground black pepper.

And the freezer is now down to a couple of boxes of my mom's applesauce, sausage, a box of phyllo dough and cheese. And the cardamom. Plug those into a recipe search engine and see what I can make!
(The can is holding up that side of the shelf because the support broke.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, Lynn!! I'm going to try it soon...

Sharon

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your soup looks wonderful! I may have to try that tonight!