Saturday, October 16, 2010

chocolate chip cookies

My mother and sisters and I call these Peggy Vis' cookies, because we got the recipe from her, but you can call them Lynn Dykstra's cookies since you are getting it from me, and I did tweak the recipe a bit. (unless you know Peggy--then, keep her name on it!)
What makes these cookies good:
--the creaming step is extended to where air is incorporated and the dough takes on a foam consistency. Makes a wonderful sandy texture.
--the home made baking powder eliminates the metallic taste that sometimes comes with regular baking powder. This also makes the dough a bit unstable, so you need to bake the cookies right after making the dough, not freeze to bake later.
--they are a good cookie that freezes well. They must be kept in an air-tight container as the weather will get in them quickly.
--it is not a chewy cookie. Seth once complained I did not make soft chewy cookies like his friends' mothers. I said Dutch people like a hard cookie we can dunk in our tea. and he should consider himself lucky to have a mother and friends' mothers who bake and quit whining right now. There.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup (two sticks) room temperature butter (no margarine)
1 cup canola oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

Beat in mixer at medium-high speed for 5 minutes. (I use a Kitchenaid.)

In a small bowl mix
1 egg
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add to mixer bowl.

Add 4 cups of flour.

Add 1 1/2 cups of walnuts and one 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips.

I use a small scoop and make all the balls of dough at once and put them on a plate. I usually get 110 cookies unless there is someone in the house eating cookie dough.

Bake on parchment paper on cookie sheet; they spread a bit but not too much. I can fit 20 on a half sheet baking pan.
If baking two sheets at once, switch the location of the pan half way through the baking time.

350 degrees for 14-17 minutes. We like them on the darker side. Well, I like them on the darker side and I'm making them, so that is what my family gets.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I am storing this one away for when I need a lot of cookies. If I made a batch of 110 cookies I would eat 110 cookies! They look yummy, and I don't have any chocolate in the house!