Friday, January 26, 2024

Sample blocks/sections, red and white efficiencies


I have been working on several red and white designs in my sketch book and put several to fabric. If I have my red fabrics out I like to be efficient in my time and fabric use, so having plans for cutting makes sense.
I used Kona Snow for the white in all these.

For the above samples, I am cutting
L upper (Single rail fence): 3 1/2 by 5 inche rectangles  (will need setting triangles down the road) (white 2 by 5 inches)
R upper (Patience corner): 3 1/2 inch squares (white 3 1/2 by 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 by 1 1/2)
R center (Lower-case alphabet) 2 inch squares (white lengths of 2 inch strips)
R lower (Framed square) 3 1/2 inch squares, 5 1/2 inch squares, setting trinagles overcut from 5 inch strips, corner triangles from 5 1/2 inch strips (white 3 1/2 by 1 1/2 and 5 1/2 by 1 1/2)
L lower (Ladder): 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch rectangles (white 4 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches)

In addition from the red I cut 2 1/2 inch squares and 2 1/2 inch half-square triangles for projects down the road. This cleans up scraps from cutting the setting and corner triangles for on-point quilts.
I cut lots of 2 inch squares as I have a double 4-patch in mind. 

I cut off of short cuts or fat quarters. If the yardage is larger than a fat-quarter I tear off a 11 inch piece to cut from. (Why 11 inches? My ruler is 12 inches.)

I cut up small scraps to 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 rectangles and 1 1/2 inch squares so no little scraps go back into my red fabric bins.

SO, my cutting sessions are:
Squares
5 1/2, 3 1/2, 2 1/2, 2. 1 1/2
Rectangles
3 1/2 by 5, 2 1/2 by 4 1/2, 1 1/2 by 2 1/2
Triangles
over-cut triangles for setting and corner triangles, 2 1/2 inch using easy-angle

Ready for ideas in the future:
Red patches cut to size in their own bins.


4 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Lynn, you will have a nice collection of red and white quilts before too long! Enjoyed reading about your process/organization. Are you still buying red fabrics?

Lynn Dykstra said...

Yes, yes I am.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

reds and white always make for nice quilts

Nann said...

Coming soon: your own version of the Armory red and white show!