Friday, April 01, 2016

childhood dresser

When I was 10 years old, my mother bought this oak dresser at an auction and refinished it. I have used it ever since and love the familiar sound the handles make when they are released.

The bottom drawer needed to be lifted to close as the runners were broken.
Every time I closed it a bit of me would wonder why mom never got around to fixing that.
Until it dawned on me recently--this dresser was in her house for about 11 years.
I moved it with me to my first apartment at age 21.
Which means I have had possession of it for 36 years.
It long ago should have become why did I not fix it.

So, off this week to Time Treasures furniture restoration.
They repaired the runner and several drawer bottoms that needed work.

Mom's refinishing work is still in great shape so nothing to do there.

And, now it is off to Eve's apartment!

2 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

And this time Eve will not constantly wonder why you did not fix it. It is a wonderful dresser and it is great that it continues to live a life of function.

Anonymous said...

I love that you treasure your family's heirlooms!!

Sharon