Thursday, May 19, 2011

trees bearing fruit

And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing. Ezekiel 47:12
Seth's school is going to be part of a consolidated school next year and the PTO asked me to help the students make a commemorative quilt for this final year as an independent school.
I chose the verse from Ezekiel for inspiration and sketched out a plan.
My friend Mary Pellauer generously offered her Shiva iridescent paint sticks. I used Kona Cotton solid in Celery for the panels and batiks from my shelves for the setting pieces.
Another mother  helped me organize the children--which made me realize that teaching college age is a lot easier that elementary children.
Each tree drawing is a jewel. I love how the age groups change in how they write their names and depict their trees. I was glad there were redbuds and pear and apple trees along the block all in full bloom. I had the children look out the window to see that all trees are not green.
Suzette Fisher did the quilting and I finished the binding this morning. We put it up in the school entrance and it was a delight to watch the children find their trees.















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea, and a beautiful quilt!!

Sharon

Janet O. said...

This is very cool. The kids will not forget this experience!

Ginette said...

Sweet. Ourschool also does commerative quilts and sells them at auction. They always bring in good money.