Tuesday, November 08, 2011

from my Grandma Dykstra (and I think from my Great-Grandma Meerdink)

My mother is sorting through her things and offered this pin cushion to me.
It was my Grandma Dykstra's and from what I remember, she said it was her mother's.
It has a tag on it with my grandma's name on it in my handwriting--I remember putting that on and taking it to the nursing home so she would have something from her work at home close by. That was 30 years ago.
Mom also gave me a darning egg that is similar to one I already have. It is not the one we grew up with so I asked her to please keep a look out for that one for me.
I keep a pair of knee highs from my high school years in my sock drawer because they were darned by my grandma.

6 comments:

not so zen -quilts in Paris said...

Such a sweet token of love to cherish... Will V in Paris

Annemart Berendse said...

The eggs are very familiar to me here in Holland. They are quite old fashioned and are called "stopei", where ei means egg and stop means knitting up, to fix a hole in a sock.
Take care of them, even in Holland people are getting rid of them!

Jane in Cumbria said...

What a lovely pincushion with so many memories.
I am Dutch too, and have a darning egg from my grandmother.
Jane

slimjohnson said...

It's great to have these little things from the ancestors. I had a knitted scarf from my grandmother, but it's lost to time now.

antique quilter said...

just how special is that, your so lucky to have things like this from your childhood, what treasures.
Kathie

Lucy said...

what a treasure!