Thursday, May 24, 2018

barn

The barn paintings in my sewing area inspired this simple block.
It could be done with a single piece for the roof and lintel, but that would involve several techniques I do not enjoy. I am using up some triangles left over from the hourglass blocks for these roofs. And, I kind of like the separate lintel! It gives a place to play with directional fabrics.
My first sample block used a flying goose for the roof. But, I realized that would be a lot of point watching in putting the quilt together so I decided to float the roof by over-cutting the sky pieces.

I'll prepare a tutorial soon.
My design, use at your pleasure.

Barn
Finishes 8 by 6 inches

Print: cut one 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 inch rectangle, two 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch rectangles, one triangle from a 3 1/2 inch strip using Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Ruler or the EZ Companion Angle ruler
Solid: cut one 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch rectangle, two triangles from a 4 inch strip using Bonnie's ruler or the EZ Angle Ruler

Trimming:
After sewing left sky to the roof and pressing to the roof, use ruler to trim away excess

Pressing:
Press left sky to the barn roof; press right roof to the sky
Press away from the door to the barn
Wait with pressing the lintel. Press half of the blocks going up and half going down. This will allow seams to nest.

The barn on the right looks like it may have a still...

No comments: