Monday, June 29, 2009

not plaids (well, there are a few)


Yes, I can use non plaid fabric. I have a nice collection of Japanese fabrics. We were in Tokyo in 1989 and I still have some I bought then at a department store. Paul was 15 months old, a beautiful blonde child who got me access to places regular tourists might not have gotten--a bride was choosing her wedding kimono and she let me sit and watch her being dressed.

I love the old Momen House prints of the late 1980s/early 90s. I would search quilt shops for the narrower boards that would hold these wonderful fabrics. I picked up a few Mrs. March/Lecien at the quilt expo here this March and decided to use all of these, plus a few American, French, and Italian taupe type fabrics and lots of shirt parts in Bonnie Hunter's Chunky Churndashes.

It is a great, simple pattern, reminds me of the Shinto lanterns or gates. I used a beige/blue vermicelli and a great tomato red/beige reproduction print that had been on my shelves for quite a while for the hour glass blocks.
And, I had the delight of meeting Bonnie in person at a meeting she lectured in Lake Bluff.

4 comments:

julieQ said...

This quilt is just simply beautiful! I have made a scrappy version too.

Paula, the quilter said...

I love using an hourglass block for the alternate block in a quilt. It makes a quilt look much more complex.

Anonymous said...

Another quilt to inspire me!! I love it. Wasn't Bonnie a terrific speaker? You two greeted each other like old friends.

Welcome back to the 'hood!!

Sharon

Quilts And Pieces said...

I was so bummed I couldn't head down to lake bluff to see Bonnie again. Boy you have been busy lately too haven't you!