Monday, February 09, 2009

common




When I wasn't feeling well, my friend Barbara told me to haul out my quilt magazines and find an "old favorite" pattern that I've always wanted to do but just never got to.
I've always liked the Boston Commons. (I love the idea that this park and city center is named for the common pasture. My home town's common pasture became the park behind my grandparents house when they retired from the farm.)
My construction of the pattern is a bit different from the traditional. Made with shirt parts, it is indeed common. It was a contemplative piece in that I had to use pins on for each patch to ensure the staggered bricks came out correctly. (I rarely use pins other than for borders.)
I will keep it common by not adding a border, just a dark binding.

Bricks finish 2" by 4", except for occasional 2 by 2 and 2 by 6 inch pieces needed to make the design. I cut the edge triangles from quartered 4 1/2 inch squares. It floats it a bit.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow! I love your design. Fantastic collection of plaids too!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Its wonderful! I love the fabrics!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Lynn! I can't wait to see it in person!!

Sharon

quiltingbonnie said...

Your cowboy quilts are really neat

quiltingbonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.